How we talk to ourselves matters. If you want to make positive changes, you need to talk positive to yourself and about yourself. For most people, negative self-talk has become a habit. So, learning how to change that takes practice. I will show you how to talk positive to yourself in 4 steps.
Why it matters?
Our thoughts become our actions & if we allow negative thoughts into our life, that is what our actions will represent. But the same is true with positivity. When we allow our thoughts to be positive, our actions will reflect that.
Learning to shift to positive self-talk can:
- Allow you to reach your goals
- Decrease anxiety and stress
- Live the life that you want
- Increase joy in your life
- Improve your physical, mental and emotional health
How to talk positive to yourself: in 4 steps
- pay attention to what you say to yourself
- negative self-talk becomes a habit and is so automatic that we don’t even realize that we are doing it
- get curious & ask yourself
- how does that thought, or statement make me feel?
- would I say this to my child, friend, etc?
- does that thought, or statement help or hurt me?
- positive self-talk is not the same as fake positivity- we aren’t talking unicorns and rainbows here 🙂
- try going from negative to neutral, and then shift to positive when it feels authentic
- negative- I am so out of shape, it’s disgusting
- neutral- I get tired easily when I am working out
- when you have a negative thought pop up, imagine what you would say to your friend if she or he said that
Find new facts
- every evening
- write down 1-3 things that you appreciate about yourself or that you have done well that day
- write down 1-3 specific things you are grateful for that happened in the last 24 hours
- what are compliments that others give you?
- write down positive affirmations & put them where you will see them every day
- I am in charge of my thoughts and behavior
- Anything is possible in my life
- I am worth investing in myself
- I am allowed to feel good
- Every day is an opportunity for greatness
- I am allowed to feel my feelings
- I will not criticize myself; I love myself for who I am
- I will let go of my worries that I cannot control; I will focus my energy on what I can control
- every evening
Remember that negative thinking is a habit. You are not a negative thinker; you are someone who has a habit of having negative thoughts. We can change our habits. Give yourself grace as you do this, the goal is not perfection, but giving ourselves a more positive space to be!
I would love to hear your thoughts on this!
If you are new to wellness, check out these posts…
How I can help!
With Holistic Health and Wellness Coaching:
- Did you know that I have been a nurse for over 15 years and am also a holistic wellness coach?
- If you ready for a real change in your life that allows you to heal and find real wellness- physically, emotionally and spiritually. Then wellness coaching is for you!!
Try 2 sessions out for FREE!!
- Just for signing up for my newsletter, you automatically get emailed my printable guide to wellness as well as getting access to many other worksheets that you can print off and use right away!!
Join my monthly book club:
What it is:
- a Facebook group: Real Life Book Club
- Each month we read a new book- varied genre of books
- I’ll post 6 discussion questions in the Facebook group at the end of the month. This is your time to interact with other book lovers!
- Optional book club guide monthly emailed to you
- Check out my Bookshop link with all of my past book club picks
Join my Declutter Group:
What it is:
- a Facebook group: Real Life Wellness: Decluttered
Goals of the group
- declutter 1 space (closet, drawer, shelf, room) each day
- get inspiration and ideas from others
- optional monthly decluttering check list emailed to you
Follow me on Social Media:
See wellness looks like to me in my everyday life & you get more pictures of Lilo!!
- Instagram– follow my stories and reels
- On Pinterest – come pin with me – check out my boards for my favorite meal planning ideas and more!
- & if you want to dive into wellness a more, join my private Facebook Group: Wellness for the Real Life- body, mind and spirit
***Some of the links in my posts contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link. I pinky promise I will always give my honest opinion of any product and would never recommend something if I did not use it and love it!!