The start of a new year can bring a lot of emotions and feelings. What are yours as you move through this first week of 2024?
I used to be a big believer in New Year’s Resolutions, but they always ended up with me feeling frustrated and disappointed in myself. New Year’s resolutions began to feel very harsh to me, and frankly it got pretty old. But I also feel less overwhelmed when I have some structure and a plan, so here is what I do now…
A word of the year:
It gives you a framework for decision making instead of just tasks and to-dos. Since your word encompasses a bigger picture of how you want to feel, you use it as your compass to guide decisions. There is no failing with a word of the year. And I 100% believe that shame has no place in adding wellness to your life.
2018 was the first year I picked a word of the year and have had one ever sense.
My past words of the year:
- 2018: Peace
- 2019: Joy
- 2020: Intentional
- 2021: Celebrate
- 2022: Love
- 2023: Simplify
The most effective way I have found to pick the word is to ask these questions:
- How do I want to feel this year?
- What do I want to create?
- What do I want this new year to bring?
What a word of the year isn’t:
- What you think you “should” be doing
- A one-dimensional item like losing weight or working out.
- What other people think you “should” be doing
My word of the year for 2024 is: Alignment.
Alignment = harmony, balance, and connection within all aspects of my life.
I got to this word by being in tune with the lessons that I learned in 2023 and then asking myself the questions that I recommended earlier in this post. By doing this process for the last 6 years I have learned to be aware of my thoughts and emotions. When I am not aligned with what I am doing, it feels so out of balance to me now. So, the word alignment feels 100% right for me in 2024.
This word, alignment will be my guide for decision making, what I say yes to, habit and goal setting.
What I have found is that it is a work in progress and one of the most important pieces is intentional evaluation. The way I will do this is by checking in with myself on a weekly basis in the key areas of my life to see how everything is working. I always get requests on how I use my word of the year to set goals. Before I share how I am using my word, let preface that what I am doing this year is very different than previous years, especially different from the first couple of years I did this process. I have grown in more detail as each year has gone by, so don’t let my year 6 overwhelm you. The absolute biggest part of using a word of the year is allowing the word to guide your decisions, to be your compass, to shift what does not feel true to you to what does.
If this is new to you I would say, keep it simple. I offer 1-hour long consultations and they are completely personal; we could cover this in-depth for you in your consultation. Schedule here
Here are my 24 goals for 2024.
- Movement: Daily walk and 8000 steps a day minimum of 5 days a week.
- Workouts: Plan weekly workout on Sunday for the next week. Goal- 2 yoga classes a week and 3 workouts a week.
- Food: Focus on whole food plant-based foods, check-in with myself before having a treat. Weekly meal plan. Try out my simple weekly meal plan method!
- Water: Drink 60 ounces of water daily (fill my water bottle 3 times a day)
- Sleep: Increase the number of hours of sleep I am getting each night. Commit to going to bed by 10:30pm each night at least 5 nights a week. Continue to evaluate and make it earlier to adjust.
- Meditating and journaling before anything else in the morning. (I had slowly allowed checking social media/email and doing work tasks before my meditation and journaling. I 100% know that I feel out of alignment when I am doing that.)
- Creativity: monthly creative project. I have an ongoing list of different projects/activities that I want to be doing. And I will be picking from that each month.
- Read 3 books a month (1 book on a topic I want to learn about, 1 book for fun, 1 book for growth).
- With my husband: evening check in, weekly date nights (ABC), plan/review the upcoming week, travel together quarterly.
- With our kids: intentional connecting on a regular basis. As they are now all grown-ups and living their own lives, this involves some creativity and intentionality.
- Friends: monthly supper club, monthly game night, monthly girls gathering, hiking outings and book club.
- Family: regular planned gatherings and celebrations.
- Decluttering for 15 minutes daily focusing on 1 space/area at time.
- Selling our home and downsizing.
- Creating and maintaining a home cleaning schedule- check it out here.
- Having a shutdown process at the end of the day: start the dishwasher, counters wiped down, everything in its home and coffee is ready to go.
- Set specific financial goals relating to debt pay off, retirement planning, vacation funding, and future projects.
- Intentional budget setting and regular evaluation.
- Daily financial tracking for personal and business accounts.
- Completing the Nutrition Coaching Institute Certification.
- Read 1 book a month about a topic that I am interested in learning more about.
- New York Times puzzles daily (wordle, connections and tiles are my favorite).
- Volunteering in meaningful ways.
- Journaling each morning on how I am leading with love in different areas of my life.
- Expanding my 1:1 clients and membership.
- Developing 5 e-courses this year.
- Organizing and offering my printables in wellness bundles and selling them.
- Offering a monthly workshop regarding holistic wellness topic
The big key is scheduling regular evaluation for checking in on how it’s working. I am going to be doing a vision board for my word of the year and goals. I will be reviewing and checking in weekly.
How I can help!
With Holistic Health and Wellness Coaching:
- Did you know that I have been a nurse for over 16 years and am also a holistic wellness coach?
- If you ready for a real change in your life that allows you to heal and find real wellness- physically, emotionally and spiritually. Then wellness coaching is for you!!
- Schedule your complimentary consultation!!
Join my monthly membership: Register here
As a member you get:
1. A Meditation available every Wednesday. This helps support your mental and emotional wellness by aiding in your stress reduction.
2. A new healthy recipe you can use for meal preop is available each Sunday, so that you can go into your week prepared with healthy choices to help support your physical wellness.
3. A monthly wellness challenge that will change each month. The challenge will include a printable calendar with the challenge details as well as daily inspiration. The monthly challenge will rotate between things like movement, nutrition, and mindset. Helping you to create healthy routines and habits that support every aspect of your wellness!
4. Morning messages sent directly to you reminding you what the wellness challenge of the day is & inspiring you to complete it in practical ways.
5. Access to a member-only Facebook group that will allow you to connect with others who are also improving their wellness and enhance the feeling of community and accountability!
And get ready for this…. you get everything I mentioned above included for only $29 a month!!! That is less than $1 a day!
My podcast!! Listen in your way:
Weekly Wellness Newsletter
- Just for signing up for my newsletter, you automatically get emailed my printable guide to wellness as well as getting access to many other worksheets that you can print off and use right away!!
- Receive and email every Wednesday with a different way to make wellness simple in your life.
My monthly book club:
What it is:
- Join my monthly book club
- When you sign up for the book club you will receive a list of each month’s book club pick for the year!
- At the end of each month, you will get a book club kit for that month’s book with the book club question, recipes inspired by the book and a playlist inspired by the book.
- If you like book discussions you can be involved with our Book Club Facebook group and/or an local in-person meeting!
- Check out my Bookshop link with all of my past book club picks
Follow me on Social Media:
See what wellness looks like for me in my everyday life & you get more pictures of Lilo!!
- Instagram– follow my stories and reels
- On Pinterest – come pin with me – check out my boards for my favorite meal planning ideas and more!
- & if you want to dive into wellness a more, join my private Facebook Group: Wellness for Real Life- body, mind and spirit
***Some of the links in my posts contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link. I pinky promise I will always give my honest opinion of any product and would never recommend something if I did not use and love it!!
D I S C L A I M E R Anything that I discuss about making any lifestyle changes is from my own experience and/or other clients personal experiences and may not be suited for you. It is strongly recommended that you consult with your health professional before making changes in your own life. By engaging in anything that I talk about, you agree that you do so at your own risk.